Saturday, November 19

Pin It

Widgets

What Am I Supposed To Do? - John 14:10

"My Father who lives in me does his work through me." All right, you're a Christian. Maybe you have been a Christian for all or most of your life or only for a short time. But the nagging question that always lingers in the background (or forefront) of your life is: Lord, what am I supposed to do with this great salvation you have given me? Jesus seemed to be clear about what He was supposed to do during His earthly life. He told His disciples that God the Father lives in Him and does His work through Him. Well, that's fine for Jesus but, after all, He was the Son of God. So how does that help me know what I am supposed to do? Just a couple of verses later Jesus applies it to you and me: "I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father" (vs 12). So we are supposed to do the same thing Jesus did! And Jesus did God the Father's work. Whatever God needs to do through you, that's what you're supposed to do. I know that's not very specific and you would like to have a little more definitive response. So let me suggest three propositions that might provide more explicit guidance. First, Jesus said that He is the way through life: "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me. If you had really known me, you would know who my Father is. From now on, you do know him and have seen him!" (vs. 6-7). I don't know my way through life but I do know and trust the One who is the Way to Life! And when I know God in a personal way, then I am enabled to see God's reality at work. Second, Jesus only did what He saw God the Father doing: "I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself. He does only what he sees the Father doing. Whatever the Father does, the Son also does. For the Father loves the Son and shows him everything he is doing" (vs. 5:19-20). If Jesus is our example and He applies to us what applies to Him, then God will show you what you are supposed to be doing when you are looking to see what He is doing. Third, God gives you His Spirit to enable you to have the spiritual perception to see what God is doing and to empower you to do His work: "And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you. He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth" (vs. 16-17). You have a destiny with God. God is working out His redemptive plan for His creation and He wants you to help. Therefore, He has empowered you by His Spirit to do His work. So look around and see how or where God is at work and then join Him so He can do His work through you. That's what you're supposed to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to learn from you, please share your thoughts with me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...