Friday, November 19

Pin It

Widgets

God's Power of Attorney - John 14:12-13

"Whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do." Jesus not only had power to do God's works, He also enabled those who believed in Him, His disciples, to do the same. Because Jesus was born of God and was God, He exercised His authority by birthright. Since we are the created beings of God and not of the Divine Nature as was Jesus, we are granted the authority that Jesus had not by birthright but by proxy when we ask in Jesus' name. When Jesus said to ask in His name and He will do it, He was giving His power of attorney. Power of attorney is a legal concept or transaction authorizing one to act as an agent on behalf of the one granting the authority. Once Jesus had atoned for the sins of the whole world, He returned to heaven and gave His power of attorney to His disciples. God has put us in charge of His Kingdom until Christ the King returns, but He has not left us powerless. He has granted us authority and power to seize this world for His Kingdom. When we individually and collectively ask God for the accomplishment of His will, God's power is released through us to accomplish the same things Jesus did and even more. Just as power and authority was vested in Jesus by the Father: "The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works" (vs. 10), our personal relationship to Christ is the only legal basis for our authority in His Kingdom, and that authority is effective only to the extent that it expresses God's will.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...